kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: IGNORE OTHER POST....READ THIS ONE!!! Oops, sorry!!!!!!!!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Iguana Forum ]

Posted by jiffypop on April 11, 2003 at 05:11:03:

In Reply to: IGNORE OTHER POST....READ THIS ONE!!! Oops, sorry!!!!!!!!!!! posted by IGUANA JOE on April 10, 2003 at 15:15:11:

When I got my first iguana I was totally clueless. I knew they got large, I knew they were herbivores, I knew they liked heat....period. I didn't acquire this iguana by choice. I was managing a pet store at the time and vowed I'd never own an iguana because I thought they were ordinary and too common. I figured that when I was ready to own a reptile it would be something much more interesting and exotic! There was no "cool factor" surrounding iguanas for me. Then, someone dumped two adult iguanas at the store in a 125 gallon aquarium. The male was too far gone to save and he died within 24 hours. I vowed to try to return the female to health. I started researching whereever I could..internet, library, the local vet. This iguana remained at the store as a store pet while I pampered her, fed her, bathed her, fell in love with her. As she gained good health I started getting offers from customers to purchase her. I always declined, using the excuse that she wasn't healthy enough yet to be sold. I started taking this iguana with me to do educational presentations in the schools. Six months after she was dropped off I quit working at the store and couldn't imagine leaving this girl behind. The owner actually made me pay $50 for her, even tho I'd paid all of her expenses while at the store!!!
This wonderful, sweet creature was my beloved Thelma. She became my constant companion and started the whole rescue thing for me. She taught me so much about iguanas....body language, mood swings, lizard kisses, tail scrapes, how to treat a broken, gangrenous toe. This lovely girl passed on a year ago January due to egging complications. I still miss her terribly.
Sharing my home with iguanas is a labor of love, all stemming from my relationship with Thelma.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Iguana Forum ]