kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Your opinions on rack systems>thinking of going this route.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by chris_harper2 on February 22, 2003 at 23:56:40:

In Reply to: Your opinions on rack systems>thinking of going this route. posted by HDEAN on February 22, 2003 at 14:34:09:

...get all of them higher up in the room since the older I get the less I like bending over with some cages 1-2 feet off the floor.

This might not be necessary. I bulged a disk in my back this summer and had to work the animals in the lower tiers of my lidless rack system. What I did was use a hook to remove the animal and place it in a shift bucket. Then I used a long pair of forceps to remove the water bowl and carry it to my cleaning area. Modern snake tongs by Midwest can be used to pick up heavy water bowls. Another pair of forceps removed fecal material during+spot cleaning. But for complete substrate changes etc. I had to bend over to get the boxes.

But I work venomous and my rack systems were already built so this was a no-brainer for me. Keeping your cages off the floor might be best for you.

Other than that, I don't like sweater box racks for introducing pairs. But there is a solution. A company called Cambro makes a clear polycarbonate box that is slightly bigger than a regular sweater box. These make for excellent lidless rack systems and would be ideal for you.

However, they are faily expensive so I doubt you would want to go this route exclusively.

But you could mimick what you currently do with the visions (keep the females in there and introduce males). I suppose the only downfall to this is if you prefer to introduce females into the males cage. But it sounds like this is not a problem for you.

So I think you could build "regular" racks that go to the floor but keep the Cambro boxes on the tops for females and/or breeding pairs. Then use your regular cheap tubs for the lower tiers.

I don't check in on the hybrid forum very often. E-mail me and I'll see if I can dig up pics of racks built around Cambro boxes. I build my own racks so let me know if you need any help in that area as well.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]