kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: like i said...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by HDEAN on February 06, 2003 at 16:09:37:

In Reply to: like i said... posted by Ike420 on February 06, 2003 at 12:41:17:

:I understand basic genetics, and i told you that the kingsnake/cornsnake example was a crappy one, but in some cases im sure there would be an immediate impact upon captive species...for instance an old world hybrids being released into a fragile New World environment. Do you reemmber the problem when snakeheads (carnivorous fish) were released into Maryland ponds?? They ate everything and grew to enormous numbers. It doesn't take much to throw off the balance of our ecosystem.

:Now you people who are truly, deeply into hybridization for the money, just remember the risk youre taking. "Only when the last tree has been cut down and the last stream dammed and the last field is paved over, will humans realize they can't eat money".
:

IKE:
It's funny that the example you give is of a PURE fish released into a native pond with bad results yet hybrid releases seems to be your subject. I believe it all depends on what is released and where. A het for albino Ruthveni x Blairs loose in Texas may have a better chance of living and breeding with the local population than if it was loose in Florida. A (pure species) Snow Motley het for Lavendar or whatever Corn loose in most states would have a better chance of breeding with Rats, Corns, and Great Plains Rats of which an example of at least one of these is found in a lot of states. There are a lot more of these so called pure corns in captivity than the hybrids. Now who is taking the chance of messing up native populations more, the hybrid breeder or the puriest? I feel neither one is as big a threat as it is made out to be but a pure snake loose can be just as big or just as little a problem as a hybrid depending on the area it is loose in. HDEAN

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]