kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Why hybrids?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by HDEAN on January 31, 2003 at 08:25:31:

In Reply to: Re: Why hybrids? posted by WaxWormFan on January 30, 2003 at 22:54:05:

A copy from your post.
:If leopard geckos go extinct in nature, perhaps because of weapons of mass destruction being used in afghanistan for instance ;p I still think that it is important that we do have specimens in captivity, even if they no longer can be released into the wild to repopulate their previous habitat, they still exist to be observed and appreciated.

Steven, This is a common answer by most breeders when asked why they breed what they breed. I think for most part, not all, this is a bogus, sounds good to the general public reason. I would bet that not a single breeder got into this hobby saying " I want to save an animal from extinction for future generations so I think I'll go with reptiles". I think they were drawn to the hobby the same way most of us have been and after keeping a few reptiles they eventially try breeding them. At this point everyone has his/her own reasons why they breed and sell offspring whether they do only pure, only hybrids or maybe both. I would think if being honest most reasons are found in both worlds, pure and hybrids. Some are in it for the money, some for the novelty, some for the beauty of each individual animal, etc. This applies to pure as well as hybrids.
The same old arguements, GREED, Playing GOD, animals getting loose, reintroducing stock, just for the novelty, etc., can and do apply to both pure and hybrids breeders in a broad sense. These same arguements against hybrids are to me equal arguements against breeding pure also and we need to be careful when attacking each other. This only leads to more fuel for the anti pet owning PETA and Humane Society people. They are the real enemy of our hobby and freedom. HDEAN

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]