kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Hey Buddy.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by buddygrout on December 18, 2002 at 12:31:53:

In Reply to: Hey Buddy....... posted by crimsonking on December 16, 2002 at 19:08:38:

::I doubt this cross would be possible as I believe that the Scarlet Snake is only distantly related to the Elaphe/Lampropeltis/Pituophis complex that is so well know for it's ability of hybridize.

::I'm glad to hear you're working with Scarlet Kingsnakes. Not the easiest Lampropeltis but very neat little snakes.

::As far as keeping Scarlet Snakes, many have had success with keeping these animals without water bowls and offered a mixture of beaten chicken egg and reptile vitamins. I think some have also added small amounts of canned reptile food but don't quote me on that.

::I'm not clear as to how long these animals have been maintained in this matter.

::Have you tried this feeding method?

::If I were to keep them I'd also keep a colony of Paroedura pictus - a very prolific egg-laying gecko from Madagascar. I think a Scarlet Snake could eat one of their eggs.

:: I've kept both as you know. I'm not sure why you'd want to cross 'em though. I even got a scarlet to accept pinks! (Not many that I know of.) Also used strips of beef heart. At first scented w/ anole egg contents. I would keep an eye on the snake if you feed it gecko eggs. While mine would eat them like mad,(I used indo-pacific) he'd regurge them later. They are apparently too hard compared to anolis eggs that are more "leathery". Anyway,can you imagine the feeding headaches associated with a cross of two of the most notorious problem feeders?LOL!
::Mark

:
:
I don't have any scarlets just one pair of scarlet kings. I started to buy a scarlet that was eating pinkies at the Tampa show last year but I thought about it too long and it was sold.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]