kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Mojave Rattlesnake/Diamondback baby biting himself

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]

Posted by DesertRat454 on November 16, 2002 at 09:38:55:

I came home other day and inspected all cages as i always do when i come home to make sure all is clean and everything has water they havent defecated in,upon inspection of one of my baby Rattlers was very pale and biting himself his fangs all the way into himself,i moved his head away from his body,he immediately struck himself again and held on,this happened several times.He was very very pale also and if i flipped him over he wouldnt flop back over so i knew he was near death,so against my wishes,this was my favorite baby,i couldnt bring myself to the off with its head method that i use out in the field when i find a ran over hald dead snake,i usually give a machete whack and toss to side for the hawks,coyotees,and owls,but being that i was attached i didnt know what to do,so i put him in freezer bag,and froze him in my freezer cranked up it only took about 15 minutes.I feel like crap,any idea what could have caused this he was a Hybrid Atrox/Scut mix born in captivity.all were eating and seemed okay he was one that had a small birth defect by his tail,instead of round it was kinda flat.Thanks,also anyone have a good method of putting down a reptile they are attached to?if it wasnt late at night and the place was open i woulda done the gas chamber,in the ice chest,add water in a bowl method with him in box like i do to rodent before feeding my non hots.Thanks

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hybrid Forum ]