kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I'm no expert, but here's what I know so far...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by lisak on September 29, 2002 at 12:29:10:

In Reply to: I\'m no expert, but here\'s what I know so far... posted by Mark Berger on September 29, 2002 at 11:50:00:

:How old is he (or she)?

:Our babies were nickel to quarter size at 6 weeks (at least the breeder told us they were 6 weeks old...)

:Should I get a bigger tank now, even tho he is so small?

:We are currently keeping our two babies in a 10 gal aquarium... That is about the minimum size I would feel comfortable keeping them in. They love the space to run.

:Will he hibernate in captivity? How would you know if he's hibernating?

:I've been wondering about this too.. Here is my take on it from other reptiles I keep: Yes, they will hibernate in captivity, but it is usually a hibernation induced by us changing the environment. Like my corn snakes... I will reduce temps and light cycles for them starting late december most likely, and stop feeding them. This will induce their hibernation cycle. How do you know? They go to sleep for a long time :-)

:How many ants should i supply for a baby?

:Ours seem to eat about 5 ants each meal, and we feed them 3 times daily.

:When will he be old enough for the mail order ants?

:We are currently feeding ours mail-order ants, and they eat them just fine.

:Do you ever clean out the tank, or just remove droppings?

:I spot clean daily, and will do a total sand change about once every 4-6 months.

: My son brought him home after a trip with his grandfather. I know he wasn't supposed to.

:Maybe you should make it a priority to take this lizard back to where it was found instead of trying to figure out how to take care of it. It is grand that you want the best for it right now, but I can see what will happen... 2-3 months down the road, it may be pretty tough to just let that lizard go, since you will most likely be quite attached to it!!

:Good luck.

:Mark

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]