kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Picky Eaters!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Les4toads on September 24, 2002 at 16:31:16:

In Reply to: Picky Eaters! posted by WYOtoads on September 24, 2002 at 00:15:14:

:I have gotten some great information from Christy on getting ants but having looked at these sites I don't think that is going to work! My babies do not like harvester ants. I have been feeding them small black/red ants from my driveway everyday and they really like them. If I give them the harvester ants they will not eat. I have not tried crickets yet but I was reading that horned lizards need a supplement of ants for their nutrtional value, but they will not eat those ansty ants-what can I do? I was thinking perhaps I could collect some of the ants I feed now and make sure I have a couple Queens and raise my own. Any suggestions? I live in Wyoming so winter is quickly approaching! Thanks in advance!

:The ants you are feeding the baby HLs are probably Harvester Ants. Harvester ants do just that, they harvest seed from plants for food. There are many different genus/species of harvester ants: Pogonomyrmex, Messor, and Solenopsis are just 3 genera of Harvester Ants. If the babies eat them, feed them that ant. If you are thinking about starting an ant colony for food supplies for the HLs, you need to do some major and serious research. Entomologists and Myrmycologists have tried to start ant colonies and continue to fail (In the lab and in the wild). Queen Ants are very perculiar about where to start their nests and cannot be coaxed to do so. They decide. You may collect what you think are Queen ants but are really drones, or male ants, and of course we know that males do not lay eggs or start nests. HLs need a majority of their diet to be ants (at least 85 - 90 %). Other insect prey are the snacks. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]