kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Let me share my story about sick HL's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by reptoman on September 17, 2002 at 14:05:00:

I had a Texas and a short horned, the Texas was sent to me as a gift
without the person knowing it was illegal, so don't blast me for that. Here is the scenerio.
1)Texas eats like a pig, small occasional crickets, and tons of ants.
2)Texas always has real open eyes no droppyness but seems to be a little more lethargic than normal.
3)texas drinks water like there is no tomarrow, more than he ever did before.
4) texas still eats but seems to eat half of what he did before.
5) concerned I put him out in the sun several days in a row, at night though it is summer, he doesn't even burry himself anymore.
6) when I pick him up I notice he feels very slugish and soft.
7) Next morning his head moves slightly from side to side with strain and he has to push himself to walk.
8)next day he's gone.
9) my short horned lizard has the exact same isuues now, and I've tried everything while he's still strong but to no avail. What ever this is nematodes or HL flu both have got it. I am getting rid of all the substrate and rocks and plants and throwing them out, and will clean the cage with bleach as I suspect this is in the substrate and rocks as well. I am totally bummed as you can imagine. This happened over a short period of time, and since I very seldom handle my HL's and even though they were eating less they looked o.k. and then bamm you knew they were on there way out.

I wonder if giving them atibiotics orally could kill these worms,
but I'm not totally convienced that it was nematodes but it sounds from Lesters scenerio that it could be. Both of these animals have been in my care over a year with no problems that I could detect????

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]