kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Worm Nematode causing death?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by kumpfamily on September 11, 2002 at 14:21:58:

As some fo you may know I received two HL's as a rescue project, now I knew from the start this was an uphill battle, but just could not stand by and let them go to an early grave without a fight.
I had them four about four days and here is a breakdown of what I happened over that time period.

The HL's arrived overnight and where in a box for about 12hrs
Both where in the same container
Female at first glance was huge, appeared gravid, bloated, something. She looked like she had swallowed a ball.
Both lizards had a large helping of ants 20 or 30 a piece.
Both lizards were soaked to replace water lost in mail. Both lizards drank more than any HL I have ever seen.
That night I noticed female appeared incredibly skinny, I searched the tank for eggs, but found nothing.
Day 2
Health appeared great and on day 2 they joined my community
No food was fed this day because ant supply was out.
HL's seemed inactive and did not bask
Day 3
Ants did not arrive so each HL ate about 6 small crickets
Day 4
HL's not moving appeared to be very thin, I thought this may be because they were older lizards.
That night they would not even move if picked up.
I bathed them and gave them drink with a dropper both took water
Day 5
7:00am woke up female Dead small 1/4 inch worm hanging out her mouth. Picked her up she was skin and bones. Opened her mouth and it was completely full of the worms, they looked like Nematodes, but I have only seen Nematode pictures on the web.
12:30PM checked on male. He had fecal protruding and stuck. I removed the fecal and about an inch long was still inside him. This was complete worms possibly nematodes.
I examined his mouth and no worm were visible.
12:40pm Male died.

Pre-exisiting conditions
Lizards had been eating crickets for atleast two weeks prior to my acquisition.
Female had recently laid eggs

Questions
Is it safe to say these were nematodes?
Could I have treated them?
Are my other HL's now in danger?

Thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]