kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Gut loading your ants????

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Pennebaker on September 06, 2002 at 04:30:11:

In Reply to: Re: Gut loading your ants???? posted by Les4toads on September 05, 2002 at 19:21:32:

Hi Les,
The deeper issue behind my original question seems to have gotten lost is the ensuing discussion.

We both agree that normal reptile supplements can be problematic for HLs. I think that we would both agree that HL do require some supplementaion at one point in their captive life whether it's because of egg-laying or lack of dietary variation. We both know that HLs eat insects other than ants and that these insects probably provide some vitamin/mineral they rely on. HLs especially seem to want different prey items in August and September. HLs will intentionally wolf-down some sand every now-and-then. This is a classic symptom of some deficiency.

What i'm getting at here is that it is impossible to be 100% natural about everything. There has to be some safe way to gently supplement HLs 1-2 times per year. I thought that feeding ants specific, yet fairly natural, food items might be one of these gentler ways. I've also tried diluted liquid supplementation in another attempt at finding these'gentler' ways.

I have a hard time understanding how a belly full of river sand is more beneficial and less detrimental than extremely diluted liquid calcium administered frugally. If i recall correctly, you said that you use a spray with diluted liquid vitamins occasionally for vitamin supllementation. Could you please tell me what kind of vitamins you are supplementing and the recipe for this vitamin solution?

thanks for your input Lester
loren

:I have a problem with supplements for "gut loading" ants. There is the issue of bioaccumulation of certain materials in the ant's system. Some of these items can be toxic if the accumulatiuon is too high. The ants should be given to the HLs without any additives or supplements. The ants are field caught and supplied with pleanty of nutrients intact. The nutrients from natural processes are nontoxic, unless the ants are collected in an area where there are toxins from illegal dumping. When ants are refridgerated, the loss of nutrients is very minimal. Fresh supplies of ants are the most beneficial. Lester g. Milroy III
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]