kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: questions for lester

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Les4toads on September 04, 2002 at 11:31:02:

In Reply to: questions for lester posted by mlp on September 03, 2002 at 23:30:51:

:hi lester, i am new to this site but have been reading the many messages you have posted and found them very informative. i am contemplating rescuing a desert HL from my local pet shop, it seems to be in good health at the moment but of course it isn't being fed the right diet. it is about 3-3 1/2" long. i know you recommend natural sand, if that isn't possible to get, what would be the next best thing that i could purchase (name, brand) i live in pennsylvania and don't know if i could collect anything suitable. any other info you could give me on setup would be appreciated, i'd like to have everything set up properly before bringing the HL home (lighting especially). being that they are approaching hibernation, is there anything i should do differently? it would have to be kept indoors at all times, i don't think PA has warm enough weather for it to be outside. i've already checked into ordering the ants for it to eat. will it pick up eating them again if it hasn't been fed the right foods for a while? sorry to bombard you with so many ?'s, i'll let it go at that, i'm sure to have more later. thanks in advance.

:You can purchase sand that is used in making cement. That should be compatible and not cause problems. Most sand that is used in making cement is "dredged" or mined from alluvial areas, so it is not a coarse grain. The depth should be about 3-4 inches for the winter hibernation. (That depth is ideal for year round use, actually). You have probably noted the division of the enclosure into hot and cool sides (ends) for thermoregulation. That is a must. Temps for Desert HLs are daytime up to 100 degrees (hot side) to 80 degrees (cool side). Night temps, during the spring-summer cycle, down to 70 degrees. Winter temps are cooler, day temps to 75 - 80 degrees and night temps down to 60 degrees. Adjust lighting for shorter photocycle during the winter. Use you natural day-night cycle. Watch the sun rise and the sunset and set accordingly. If you have other question, let me know. Leter G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]