kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: help? Dump the Calci-Sand?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by billshorneys on September 02, 2002 at 16:37:18:

In Reply to: Re: help? Dump the Calci-Sand? posted by Les4toads on August 25, 2002 at 14:27:34:

::Lester, I have a mixture of calci-sand and play sand, can you tell me what the benefit is from getting wash sand?

::The benefits are that there are no impurities, chemical residue from processing calci-sand, from mixing. There are natural mixes in wash sand where HLs are typically found in the wild. Even though there is probably a guarantee of purity or lack of contanimants, I tend to doubt it. I use only the natural materials where HLs are found and have had no problem for over 15 years. There is also the possibility of too much calcium intake by HLs from this calci-sand mix. I do not use supplements for my HLs, except periodic liquid vitimins in water for about a week or two during mating season and for gravid females. The dosage is about 1/100 the suggested. Lester G.Milroy III
:
Are you guessing about calci-sand being bad for H/L because they may get to much calcium, or do you have any real facts about it? I think the lizards body will absorb what it requires in calcium and discard the rest! I have read in fact sheets about the care of HL and they say calci-sand is fine for a substrate. When you don't have access to natural sand they live in it's a problem getting it! I have heard some bad experiences using the desert sand high in silica (glass) It can cause compaction. It may very well be if they don't get enough exercise in captivity they can get plugged up with sand! Does anyone have any real bad experiences using Calci-sand? Bill.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]