kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help, we have eggs

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by A on July 03, 2002 at 05:17:06:

In Reply to: Help, we have eggs posted by PatF on July 02, 2002 at 19:07:43:

: Last weekend, after a fishing expedition, I spied a HL on the road. My two little boys, 8 and 10 had never see one before so we stopped the Jeep to check it out. After about 5 minutes of searching we found a one and a half inch HL in the grass close to the spot in the road where I had seen the larger one. We looked for another two or three minutes and found an adult. I wasn't planning on keeping them but since the boys had never seen one before and the fact that I had kept a pair for over 2 years when I was a kid I decided they could observe them for a week and then we would return them to where we found them. We brought them home and placed them in an unused 20 gallon aquarium with sand, a water dish and a few flat rocks. There is a big ant colony nearby so we collected some and fed the HL's, the little guy ate a few but the adult didn't seem interested. Three days later, this evening, when I got home from work my 10 year old informed me of 18 eggs in the tank. I would love to try to hatch them and release them all together. Do I stand a chance of hatching them? Is it possible for them to hatch in the tank they are in? Is there some sort of incubator available they could be hatched in? I need some help if possible, I would really like to be able to release a clutch of HL's in a few months.

yo u can maek an incubator out of a 10 gal. fishtank fill it half way with water put a submericble heater on the side of the tank
put bricks in the tank standing a little bit under the water and then put the eggs in a 70/50 vermiculite/water mix in a container and set the container on the tow bricks get a thermometer i dont know what the temp is for them and then cover the top of the tank with a towel or a piece of glass big enough for the top of the tank then wait about 4-6 weeks and you should have little baby HLs runnin around

hope this helps...

peace

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]