kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Horned Lizards In Northern Cal?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]

Posted by Lester G. Milroy III on June 06, 2002 at 16:28:18:

In Reply to: Re: Horned Lizards In Northern Cal? posted by Ken on June 06, 2002 at 14:50:18:

: : : Over the last month and a half I've seen at least 5 HL in a certain East Bay Regional Park while trail running. I've been going the park for nearly 30 years running/hiking/mt. biking and have never seen one. I very rarely see large ants. As a kid I used to catch snakes & lizards all the time here. I've never seen one in the wild here. Wondering if any one else has seen HL in No Cal. What are they eating? Are the protected? Last run I nearly swashed one sunning on the trail. No question it was a HL. Are they protected in California? Let a Park Ranger know what I saw and he never heard of any sighting here.

: : :They are protected. They are the California Coast Horned Lizard, Phrynosoma coronatum frontale. There are pocket populations in the East Bay Region. They have becaome very rare in that area. Their range in that area used to be greater, but development has taken its toll. They are eating ants, just like all HLs. The ants you see are just a small portion of the ants that are available in that area. If you were to go "off trail" you would see more variety. The HLs in the park are even more so protected because of their locality. Any species in parks, wildlife reserves and the like are protected. Not even with a permit are they allowed to be captured. Lester G. Milroy III

: Lester,

: I did realized the animals in the park were protected. I referred to catching stuff as a kid in the hills around the area. Not in the park! Kind of weird that I've had more mt. lion sightings in the park & and the surrounding open space out here than HL's. So, HL's are on California's protected list? How long has this been the case? Thanks for the info.

: Ken

:Ken, the Coast Horned Lizards have been under protection since 1974. It has been illegal to collect Coast Horned Lizards for export, CITES protection, since 1947. They are classified as Species of Special Concern under the California ESA, and Catagory II under Federal ESA. Permits are required for research and study. There are two subspecies native to California, The California Coast Horned Lizard, Phrynosoma coronatum frontale, and the San Diego Coast Horned Lizard, P. c. blainvillei. We also have the Shorthorned Lizard, Phrynosoma hernandezi (douglassi), in the North Eastern part of the state, and the Desert Horned Lizard, Phrynosoma platyrhinos, in the Mojave Desert region. Lester G. Milroy III

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Horned Lizard Forum ]