kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Is he tame or not? What now?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by Tenaka on April 26, 2003 at 15:34:16:

In Reply to: Is he tame or not? What now? posted by Passport on April 25, 2003 at 19:51:41:

Lol they are really cute when they do that, both of mine get handled around once a week and they are used to me now I rarely get a display and its almost always just a hiss of startlement when they get woken or a slight widening of the cheeks.
I do remember one incident tgough with my male when I was cleaning his cage during his shed he heard me and there was this loud hiss a lot louder because of the log seemed to amplify it, then he came out full cobra imitation hissing like he was fit to burst, the whiteness off his top end and the fact he was moving towards me with the top six inches raised and hooded was quite impressive, especially since I was kneeling with my head inside the vivarium and this apparition was at eye level lol.
He simply came up to my face and flicked his tongue then he kinda deflated all at once stopped hissing and simply turned around and went back under the log , sorta like he had decided it was just the usual pest and nothing to worry about :)

they are really great snakes and great characters, treasure the little bluffs and hisses because they will eventually stop doing it, unless you scare them and thats not really fair to the little guys.

tenaka

:My new western hognose arrived about three weeks ago and was as tame as a puppy. I could handle him without any problems. Tonight he decided that he would not be handled. I saw for the first time his display and threats. Also smelled his musking. I'm wondering how I should react to this. I never did pick him up b/c everytime I reached for him he struck at me. What kind of advice would you give me? Should I force the issue? Should I back off and try again tomorrow? Will I ever be able to pick him up again? He is so cute but I need some reassurance about handling him. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]