kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I feed mine frogs...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by mike z on April 10, 2003 at 11:51:12:

In Reply to: Toads? posted by joshbrees on April 09, 2003 at 17:31:11:

Green frogs and juvinile bull frogs are very plentiful in my area and easy to find. In two or three rainy nights I can collect and freeze enough for the whole season.
I often pick up fresh dead ones off the road, but have no problem taking a reasonable number of the above mentioned species. I'm well aware of the world wide decline of certain species of amphibians [have had this discussion here before], but am very confident that removing green frogs and bull frogs does no harm and may be slightly benificial. My reasoning is as follows:
Both green and bull frogs can and do breed in any semi-permenant body of water. They do not require sensitive and threatened vernal pools. They can and do breed in permenant man made ponds even if they contain fish. In my area [suburban Massachusetts] virtually every single new housing development has at least one or more "landscape" ponds which double as run off catch basins. Typically these are permenant and end up stocked with some type of fish. Also, made up of run off from yards and streets, water quality is not great. These ponds can not be used as breeding pools for the native wood frogs or american toads and are usually avoided by grey tree frogs and spring peepers as well. In contrast, green frogs and bull frogs thrive in such habitat and their number explode.
In addition, both green and bull frogs are large and agressive preditors which gladley feed on the young of less abundant species.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]