kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Is something wrong?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by cf on March 18, 2003 at 08:40:45:

In Reply to: Is something wrong? posted by chip on March 16, 2003 at 18:16:06:

Hi; I was wondering if you have tried split braining your pinkies? I had the best success by taking a razor blade and cutting the head in half, of course you'll probably have to continue scenting too. I also had great luck with putting a frog and pinkies togather, so that once they start eating, (usually the frog goes first), they keep eating. Also, I feed mine in a small tupperware box that they can't see through, but does let light in so its not dark inside. You can always paint, tape, or cover the outside of a clear box, as long as any toxic fumes are allowed to dissipate first. The idea here is security and keeping the hog in close proximity with its prey, so they smell becomes hopefully irrisistible!

Regarding the pic I saw on one of the posts, it wouls be a very good idea to NOT feed any snakes on their substrate! This is just asking for an impaction, which is obviously quite dangerous to the snake.

The only other thing, and with a captive bred might not be the case, is the possibility of parasites. It may be worth looking into doing a treatment of Flagyl and Panacur, and depending on a professional assesment possibly even an antibiotic. I would certainly try all the feeding techniques first, but if things go too far this may become a feasible option.

Freight

Good luck!

:I am worried about my eastern hog. He is awfully thin.

:First, the negatives: I tried to get him on mice several ways, including blending a toad and putting the goo on thawed mice. No luck - wasn't remotely interested. He did put a live pinky with toad goo on it in his mouth - but stopped eating it immediately.

:I also tried fish and worms after reading in a book that hogs were observed eating these. No luck there.

:Then, I tried to hibernate him. I couldn't maintain the temperature for him (dont ask, I have hibernated other snakes before but this year didnt work) so I pulled the hoggy out. He hadn't eaten for roughly 2 months and I was getting a bit worried.

:The positives: I found a place that genetically enhances and breeds leopard frogs for laboratory purposes. I bought 5. He has eaten three in 2 1/2 weeks. These are not tiny frogs and this is not a big snake.

:He hasnt gained an oz, still is super thin with really stretchy skin, and hasn't shed! He doesn't look to good though he is active and eating.

:Should I be worried that he is still so skinny? Or will he rebound with more regular feedings?

:Chip

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]