kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Is something wrong?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by rudedogsurfrat on March 16, 2003 at 23:26:12:

In Reply to: Is something wrong? posted by chip on March 16, 2003 at 18:16:06:

Well you can ask AC, I had my run of trouble with Easterns. I bought a trio from him that regressed from pinkies and ate nothing. He sent me some live toads for scenting and the easterns would poke at the scented pinkies with their snouts and then leave them alone. I did everything to try and scent them from the gross blended toad to rubbing the pink on a toad to toad urine etc. Finally I resorted to force feeding the trio but despite my attempts the "skinny" one died. He was kinda like you describe yours (except he didn't eat). Finally the way I got them to eat was to take a pinkie and rub it all over a live toad, then I opened the toads mouth and placed the pinkies head in there to get all that good saliva. Then I would ,manually, hold the slimed pinkies head right in front of the easterns nose. If he would slither away, I'd keep it in front of him so he would smell it. I guess it may be wise to use tongs. They would eat the pinkies right out of my hand. Right now I'm trying to wean them off of the scented pinks, mostly because I don't want to deal with keeping toads as pets. I've been pulling them out of their cage and feeding them in a deli cup, so they started getting used to the idea that deli cup+ food. Then I backed off of the scenting. Currently one of my easterns takes unscented (Finally!!!!!) and the other one needs a touch of toad.

:I am worried about my eastern hog. He is awfully thin.

:First, the negatives: I tried to get him on mice several ways, including blending a toad and putting the goo on thawed mice. No luck - wasn't remotely interested. He did put a live pinky with toad goo on it in his mouth - but stopped eating it immediately.

:I also tried fish and worms after reading in a book that hogs were observed eating these. No luck there.

:Then, I tried to hibernate him. I couldn't maintain the temperature for him (dont ask, I have hibernated other snakes before but this year didnt work) so I pulled the hoggy out. He hadn't eaten for roughly 2 months and I was getting a bit worried.

:The positives: I found a place that genetically enhances and breeds leopard frogs for laboratory purposes. I bought 5. He has eaten three in 2 1/2 weeks. These are not tiny frogs and this is not a big snake.

:He hasnt gained an oz, still is super thin with really stretchy skin, and hasn't shed! He doesn't look to good though he is active and eating.

:Should I be worried that he is still so skinny? Or will he rebound with more regular feedings?

:Chip

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]