kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: HIbernating Western Hognose - Can someone please advise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Hognose Forum ]

Posted by SPR on December 19, 2002 at 22:28:52:

In Reply to: HIbernating Western Hognose - Can someone please advise posted by dwightyarde on December 07, 2002 at 01:23:01:

:I am a novice at brumating snakes - I purchased an adult male hognose that has been previously cycled and bred - he took food from me once (2nd week of November) and would not eat after that. On the advice of a friend, I have placed the male into brumation (used a rubbermaid shoe box) and am maintaining temps between 50 - 55 degrees - I have read mixed messages about checking on brumating snakes - my guy is currently buried in the substrate so I cannot see him to check his breathing - what should I do?
In my experiences, which may not be conventional, I brumate my hognoses low:44 degrees night, High:58 degrees. These numbers are extremes for normal temp. is 48-52 degrees. You can buy a thermometer that has a humidity indicator on it( which I recommend.)Humidity remains normal to midrange humid, the drier side probably better. I keep the room dim. I routinely check on all of my animals every couple of weeks. I have only disturbed them minimally to, as you say, check to see if they are breathing and not getting too thin or dehydrated. The temperatures are so low that the animals seem to hardly notice that I am there even when I move their substrate to check on them. The only thing that I would not advise is to warm your snake up too much during hibernation. I handle them very minimally during brumation.
On the feeding issue, many of my westerns, slowed their eating habits or even refused to eat at the first sign of a cold front moving into our area. Most of mine now brumate until spring.
I hope that this information helps. SPR

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Hognose Forum ]