kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Gila as first hot?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Mark Seward on July 14, 2002 at 07:53:06:

In Reply to: Gila as first hot? posted by Bernard on July 11, 2002 at 20:57:49:

Hi Bernard,

You will find the answer to most of your questions at the link below.

The reason there is not a commercially available antivenin for Gilas is they cause no human mortalities and virtually no morbidity. The only people that are even bitten by them are the crazies that pick them up (like us).

I have had quite a few venomous snakes from all over the world (in my younger days) and can say that working with Gilas is a whole different deal. If you mean, by "first hot" will it prepare you for eventually working with venomous snakes? I don't think it will. If you mean by "first hot" that you don't have experience with other venomous reptiles and consequently, do you have what it takes to work with Gilas? In my opinion, anyone with an interest, a mature approach, some common sense and a little coaching, can safely work with Gilas. By far, the most serious risk is becoming complacent with them, as the typical adult Gila is a very calm gentle creature. Just never put yourself in a position where a bite could occur and you won’t be bitten. Avoiding a Gila bite is a much simpler proposition than avoiding a bite from any other venomous reptile.

As Jacob mentioned, it is important to check about any state and local regulations that would prevent you from legally keeping Gilas. There are no Federal requlations that apply.

Cheers,

Mark

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]