kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I don't know if I'd say "more" accurate.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Marty on June 19, 2002 at 22:17:20:

In Reply to: Kerry's obervation is more accurate........ posted by Jeff on June 08, 2002 at 08:13:24:

Kerry's statement is as accurate as the statement I made. Both are valid and are dependent on the interaction with the Gila.

"all wildlife fears humans-no doubt."

Then why would YOU make the statement that "Gila's show no fear of humans or anything else?"

"Gilas will either scurry off or meander and continue about their own business."

Or a host of other behavours depending on the interaction which is had with that lizard. There is no set rule.

"My observations come after 14 years of co-habitation, 6 years of local wildlife relocation, feedback from the ASU study and openning the local park."

Your observations mean a lot to YOU. To those who know better, WE know enough to take what YOU say with more than a grain of salt. The amount of time YOU claim to have experience with hots and other animals changes depending on who YOU are addressing and what YOU hope to convey. Yeah, I remember YOUR recitation of feedback from one of the on-going ASU studies. If you remember, Jeff, the assertions YOU made in the past were INCORRECT. If YOU were actually getting feedback from any of the researchers engaged in any of the Gila projects YOU certainly weren't listening to what they were telling YOU. Instead, YOU opted to portray the available data in a way that made YOU feel better. Remember, Jeff?

"If wildlife senses no threat it will become cautious and proceed."

Isn't it a little late to qualify YOUR erroneous statement? But, if the wildlife senses no threat, why would it become any more cautious than it normally is before it proceeds?

"When any animal becomes frightened they will defend themselves."

Or flee. Again, the reaction of the animal is dependent upon the situation.

"After studying their overall behavior Kerry is more correct upon gila actions."

YOU would like to believe that for YOUR own reasons. What I depicted is just as accurate.....depending upon the interaction and individual lizard.

"In my opinion in a broad sense gilas are very tolorable of humans and will defend themselves if provoked but characlisticly will walk on by."

Yes, Gilas can be tolerant of humans. But, I will disagree with what YOU call characteristic. If a human is not approaching the lizard and gives it enough room it MAY continue to go about its business. What I would assert is more characteristic is people encroaching too close for the Gilas' comfort and the Gila responding by attempting to flee or becoming defensive.

"Is Marty correct? Half so."

Though I was entirely correct, I rather be only half right than entirely wrong.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]