kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My first question would be....................................

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]

Posted by Kevin Earley on April 28, 2002 at 19:40:24:

In Reply to: gilas posted by Peter on April 28, 2002 at 17:42:30:

What if any regulations do they have in Canada in reference to owning venomous reptiles? Here in Florida you have to be State Licensed and a minimum of 18 years of age to get the license in addition there are local zoning issues as well. I would first look at your local regulations for advise.

My second question would be what experience do you have already with venomous reptiles? Granted gilas and beadeds are in a class all their own because they are the only venomous lizards but they should still be treated as a venomous animal.(I can hear Jackie saying "I should practice what I preach")LOL

I feel just like any venomous reptile that the more experience you have with it you develop your own techniques for "handling" them. Some people are strictly hands off and shift them without coming in contact with them while others use gloves and still others free hand. Much in the way that I am sure you have seen people free hand venomous snakes, it can be done but it is definitely not the safest way to do things and should only be done by experienced individuals that are prepared to suffer whatever consequences should come. I don't want to sound like I am preaching but it is something to keep in mind.

And my last question would be what do your parents think of it? Not that it is any of my business but if you still live at home (which I assume at age 16 but I could be wrong) they may have a different thought about you having venomous animals in the house. (I know my parents sure did..........at first).

Don't get me wrong I think it is GREAT that at your age you are interested in reptiles, especially gilas. Please don't be discouraged by what I say. I just want you to cover all bases before you dive in.

PS When I was 16 (let's just say a while back) there was no way that I could afford to buy one. Or better yet my parents would never let me spend that kind of money on an animal at that age. But then again these are different times.

GOOD LUCK to you!!!

Kevin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Heloderma Forum ]