kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hatching Bearded Dragons! Help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by lizardman on May 04, 2003 at 03:21:03:

In Reply to: Hatching Bearded Dragons! Help! posted by falias on May 01, 2003 at 01:17:50:

:I have bearded dragon eggs in the incubator right now. I am worried about mold. What are the best ways to prevent it? Is it ok to change the vermiculite weekly? Also my incubator flucuates about 1.5 degrees a day, from about 82-83.5. Is that going to be harmful? Last, I was worried because my female caught me off guard with the eggs. She did not get extra food leading up to laying her clutch. Her eggs were left in soil for about 16 hours while I frantically gathered all of the ingrediants for cooking dragons...incubator, vermiculite, tuppoware, thermometer, ect. The eggs all looked perfect when she laid them...i didn't think they would even be fertile because my male gets pushed around by my female all the time. If she wants his basking spot a simple head butt solves the problem. But the eggs are all perfect looking and have a red circle on top when candeled. So it is now day 6 and they are still round and full and nice looking. When will I know if they are going to have a chance? Please any help/hints.

The vermiculite should not need changing nor should the eggs be moved once established in the media. The moisture of the vermiculite should have the characteristic of being squeezed & maybe have at most-a few drops of water oozing out. I would suggest to poke a few holes in the tupperware lid to allow for a small amount of ventillation, but make sure that the vermiculite is misted to keep the moisture level the same. The eggs normally won't mold unless they are infertile. The incubator 1.5 degree flux should not create any real problems; just make sure that it doesn't get too hot or too cool--this can be very bad for developing embryos.
Goodluck.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]