kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

how to get feaces from a non eating reptile?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by lizardman on April 24, 2003 at 10:39:31:

In Reply to: how to get feaces from a non eating reptile? posted by ritamcfarsons on April 24, 2003 at 06:52:34:

:i have a nile monitor that i got/adopted from afrend who didn't want it anymore. he's very thin and won't eat. i need to get a sample of feacs to check them but how? i don't think i have much time left. if i force feed him it might be too stressfull for him and make things worse, and even if i do i would make him eat only a little and not enough for a fecal. can the vet treat him without a fecal? and how?

:thanks

Your first priority would be to get the monitor to a reptile- qualified vet. When anorexia is involved, it is import to re-hydrate the reptile with electrolytes & hi-caloric liquid slurries for reptiles. Also, consider soaking the monitor in luke-warm water for 20-30 minutes; this may possibly promote a fecal-movement. Make sure that if you soak the monitor--keep the water below the shoulder & be present during the process--to prevent any possibility of drowning/stress. Keep the monitor in the correct temperature range to increase its metabolic rate; this may possibly promote an eating response, but first and foremost---see a vet ASAP.
Goodluck

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]