kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

more info and more questions! ME NEEDY HELPY! PLZ HELP

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by SLACkra on April 01, 2003 at 23:18:19:

In Reply to: Re: Vieled Chameleon acting weird. Hiding in dark corner of cage posted by T.B on April 01, 2003 at 17:36:14:

well now she is hiding away from me! if she is on a branch and i enter the room she moves so that the branch is in the way. if i look down at her shes upside down on the branch. she hasen't eaten any of her three crickets and hasn't touched her lettuce. i add a thast about 1/2 a foot by 1 foot and has 3.5 inches of potting mix. i hope that will work. i am also worries that she isn't getting enough uv light. when i first got her she lived in a 20g tank with 15watts of flouresent. now she lives in a cage which has the dementions of "1mX1mX3feet" the three feets the height. she still has the 15watt on her. should i upgrade? i know i pobably should but how much i mean would about 40watts work? also i have had her since last september and back then she could happily sit on my pinky. she was about7.5cm. now shes 30cm! so is she an adult now? should i upgrade lighting. i also added a big boston fern and this grassy thing. it was on this list i found of non toxic plants. well what should i dooooo!!!!!

:Considering her age and species the behaviour you describe is quite possibly related to egg-laying. Mature female veileds will produce eggs without being mated. She may be wandering in order to look for a suitable site to bury her eggs. Provide a bucket or similar container at the base of her basking area that will hold several inches of a moist soil/sand mixture. I would suggest leaving it there permanently if possible. Females can produce 2 or 3 clutches a year and the lack of a suitable nesting site is thought to contribute to egg-binding. You may want to increase her calcium supplementation for a couple weeks leading up to and following the egg production.

:T.B
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]