kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Veiled - Bad Balance?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by lizardman on March 18, 2003 at 06:43:29:

In Reply to: Veiled - Bad Balance? posted by aajay on March 17, 2003 at 13:20:53:

:I've had my juvenile Veiled Chameleon for a little over a month now. He's adjusted quite well to his environment, and isn't very friendly yet. From day one I noticed his balance was a little weak. It's seems to have gotten worse. Today he feel from the top of his tree to the bottom of the cage! A 38G reptarium. He got right back up and is climbing fine, but I'm wondering if this is a sign of illness? Should I make a vet appointment? Thanks.

The symptoms sound like NSHP aka metabolic bone disease. I would suggest to make sure that there is adequate UVb lighting & supplement with Calcium. Calcium w/ D3-for artificial lighting or regular Calcium if sunlight is provided for most of the daylight hours. To prevent fractures due to falling, you should keep your branches at a lower level within the habitat; however, chameleons can climb the sides of screening. I would suggest to put sphagnum/spanish moss on the bottom of the cage-temporarily-until the cham. is healthy. If there is no improvement within 5-7 days, you should have a vet check this out. You may want to see a vet first.
Goodluck

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]