kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Help! Possible prolapse in White's treefrog!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by Dexter6185 on February 18, 2003 at 15:55:06:

In Reply to: Re: Help! Possible prolapse in White's treefrog! posted by zach_whitman on February 17, 2003 at 17:29:07:

:
:You did exactly the right thing with your frog. Anal prolaspes are common and usually not life theatening if treated by a vet promptly. The vet will asses what tissue is actually prolapsed (glands, intestine, hemipenes, ect.) then he will probobly clean it and ease it back inside. To stop the prolaps from re-occuring the vet will also probobly put a stitch or two on either side of the cloaca.

:One thing to look out for is ingestion of foreign materials. Prolapses are often caused by constipation and straining to move the bowels. If your frog swallowed something he shouldn't have this could be the cause of your problem.
:until the vet sees him, just keep him warm and on a damp substrate that won't dirty the prolaps. Some petrolem jelly or KY can also help the irritation to the tissue. good luck
:zach
:
Actually, about 10 min. after I posted the problem, the intestinal matter was drawn back in. He seems to be doing alright. He remains active (no signs of lethargy), but hasn't pooped. I am continuing to keep a very close eye on him. If he doesn't deficate soon, I will make a vet appointment (I really don't have money to burn- please don't assume I have little care and love for my animal).
My girlfriend's ornate box turtle also had a prolapse incident, but sadly didn't survive. She had told me before hand that something was wrong with the turtle. When I went to have a look, I was horrified to find almost 2" of something dragging from her (the turtle) cloaca. We called the vet, whom identified the problem. Our appointment was the next day, but unfortunately, she didn't make it through the night. After doing my homework, I found that the "something" was intestine, and that this horrid event was most likely produced amid her egg-laying.
I really would not like to face this problem again.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]