kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Mouth Rot

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by fredhammes on February 05, 2003 at 16:29:46:

In Reply to: Mouth Rot posted by jupomp on February 04, 2003 at 22:43:18:

Mouth rot is different from traumatic injury, however, both could progress into potntially serious conditions, and would certainly warrent a visit to the vet IMHO.
I think the first thing I would do is cover or remove and replace the mesh from the habitat. A Basilisk is a very quick and agressive feeer, and sometimes quite active. Removing any souce of possible injury is important, as ha's not gonna "learn better" and suddenly start avoiding it! Also, because of a Basilisks slender toes, the possibility of him getting them caught in the mesh and breaking them off is great. I've seen it happen. It's epecially important to be sure he doesn't become defecient in his diet, as their sleder bones are prone to breakage.
Removing the cause of irritation, and, perhaps cleaning the wound with a betadine soultion, checking to make sure the inside of the mouth is clean, and without discharge, may be the best thing to do initially.
He won't like it, and just keep your hands clear. I can tell you that a Basilisk's bite can be extremely painful!
Best of luck to you. I am a great fan of the Basilisk. I'd love to see a pic of yours, if you can post one!
GratefulFred

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]