kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: RTI and my Juvie Water Dragon....help!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]

Posted by zach_whitman on February 04, 2003 at 15:32:15:

In Reply to: RTI and my Juvie Water Dragon....help! posted by martinsonly on February 04, 2003 at 14:02:42:

:I have a juvie Chinese Water Dragon who I purchased then found it to have a respiratory infection (gaping and some clear mucous, a "pop" at the start of a gape). I have no money available at this time to go to the vet (please withold negative comments).

:For two weeks I saw relief (no gaping or mucous and a resumed appetite) after adding increased heat 24 hours a day. I used Reptosol in some peach baby food (which it loved) to help boost it's immune system. This morning I woke up and found the "pop" and gaping had returned, though I've made no decrease in the heat. I have human grade amoxicillin, keflex, and trimox available. Can I use these? If not what should I do? Again, I'm not in a position to take the animal to the vet at this time (willing, but not able).

Keep the heat and the humidity up and make sure it gets plenty of good food/vitamin supliments. Is it possible that the temperature in the cage fell during the night? Blackout maybe? I don't know how safe it is to use the medicines you have. I would call any exotics vet and just ask him if they are safe for your lizard. I have also heard (but have never used) tetracyclin can be used as a cheap cure for RTI. It is cheap and available at most pet stores. If you do call a vet, ask what he thinks about teracyclin as well.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Herpetological Health Forum ]