kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I need some info on GTP's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on May 10, 2003 at 14:24:42:

In Reply to: I need some info on GTP's posted by bsleeper on May 10, 2003 at 11:53:22:

As with any other animal, most of that depends on the individual snake. Some GTP's are picky, most aren't. Males will usually go off feed for extended periods when they reach sexual maturity. It's normal and natural, but it tends to cause people to panic. Ball Pythons will do the same thing sometimes.

GTP's are NOT animals that lend themselves well to frequent handling, especially babies. They are more fragile that most other species of Python and easily injured. They generally don't enjoy being handled a lot, preferring to be left alone to hang around on their climbing branch. I've seen a couple that seemed to do well with the owner carrying them around all over the place and handling them constantly, but that's not the norm and is definitely not recommended. When GTP's are stressed, the usual reaction is to go off feed.

GTP's can be snappy. Certain locales seem to be more ill-tempered than others...don't know that that's established fact, but it seems that way. Biaks seem to be more snappy that Arus, for instance.

One thing about wild caught GTP's. They tend to come in loaded down with parasites and can be difficult to get started and cleaned up. Best leave them to experienced keepers and start out with captive born.

:Im looking into getting a gtp or two after i get my 1.1 pair of het albino ball pythons in june... But a friend is telling me its a bad idea... He says they are picky eaters even more picky than Balls... He says they can be handled only 1 time per month... What are some pros and cons? I mean i trust him and veleive him cause he knows his herps but i want to here itfrom the people who own GTP's themselvs Thank You

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]