kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Pine Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Problem Feeder

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]

Posted by Brandon Osborne on December 06, 2002 at 00:34:27:

In Reply to: Re: Problem Feeder posted by Mancuso on December 05, 2002 at 00:31:39:

:I am so out of ideas. This snake is a plump juvenile and she was obviously eating very well for Rico, but not for me. My setup seems fine, temps are OK, but she will not strike. I annoyed her so much tonight that I'm sure any other snake would strike. She seems so passive during feeding time and when I annoy her she just moves to another perch. I am very very frustrated right now, what do you guys think I should do? It's nearing 2 months of refusing and I havent been too worried for a while because of her girth, but she needs to eat soon. No "tricks" seem to do anything so I assume something must be wrong with my set-up, but what? She is in a 15 quart, in a rack system (maybe its a problem that the heat comes from the bottom?) with paper towel as substrate, plastic perches, and a water bowel. Any problems? I'm not just looking for help with feeding, I will continue to try, but I need suggestions on what I should do. Should I try to get a refund? Should I try to get another snake from the breeder? I just want whats best for the snake. I'm not new to tree pythons and I am baffled by this snake, and the fact thats it's not a neonate renders many of the "tricks" useless.
:

I would contact Rico just to let him know what's going on. He may have a better history of the snake, and may be able to lend a few ideas.

How big is the snake. You may try a small setup. I have a couple of chondros that are aroung 3' that are still in the 12qt. sterlites. If I put them in larger cages, they refuse to eat, and hide under the paper. It may just be stressed out a little. Leave it be for about a week and try leaving a live fuzzy in the cage overnight. Just be sure to contact Rico and let him know the situation.

If it's a male, over 16 months, he may just be fasting for the winter, which is typical. I have a male that refuses to feed from september until april if he doesn't get a woman. He's proven twice and this year is his second. The first time was in 2000. My female ovulated in Feb. of 2001 and he ate within a couple days of her ovulating. Again, this year, she ovulated monday and he ate last night for the first time since september. Keep us posted.

Brandon Osborne

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Green Tree Python Forum ]