kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Hybrids....good? bad? indifferent?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by BILLY on April 24, 2003 at 03:28:53:

In Reply to: Hybrids....good? bad? indifferent? posted by oldherper on April 20, 2003 at 08:53:42:

Oh no....here we go...ha ha!

I personally don't agree with hybrids, when I say that I mean man made ones. The ones that won't ever happen in nature, like jurassic corns, etc.

The ideas I have about it are not about personal liking of the outward appearance of hybrids, as some are very pretty! My problem is the future problems that can arise from it and the problems now that unfortunately happen.

Think about it, there would be no hybrids without pure specimens. Pure comes first. Without it, there would be no opportunity to create hybrids.

Why do it? I think that for the most part, it is about satisfying that curiousity of the unknown. Many herpers who breed hybrids may feel some sort of excitement when they don't know what will be hatching out of the egg.

Thing is,..the problems that arise in the future need to be thought about.

How many times have we known someone that bought a pair of snakes that turned out not to be pure and the babies are not what the breeder intended? I know quite a few people that the very dissapointing end result of that has happened. Thing is, that sucks! Big time!

Is it a responsible act towards others to support hybrids? When you breed them, and even if you represent them honestly, there is a chance that some poor individual down the line may pick them up and was told that they were pure, etc. When he or she shells out his hard earned money hoping he is getting a pair of pure snakes, and the act of misrepresentation happens, then all the years of waiting to fulfill a dream of producing pure specimens is shot to death when he gets a batch of, " What the .......?"

I find it funny that the snakes have to be tricked into having sex to reproduce. Tricked into having sex? Does that show respect or selfish motives behind the very act? Something to ponder.

I worked hard to find my favorite snakes that I own. When I say I want a pure northern pine, I want a pure northern pine! Purity means something to me cause when I want a certain kind, I want 100% of what I am buying.

This is all my opinion, and I respect those that disagree with me.

Take care!
Billy

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]