kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: is this a good idea?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The General Snake Forum ]

Posted by GRR on February 22, 2003 at 17:40:31:

In Reply to: is this a good idea? posted by fcwegnm0 on February 21, 2003 at 23:18:53:

There are alot of smaller snakes that would fit what you are looking for.

Ball Python- These guys are one of the most common snakes kept. They are very calm(most of them). Get a CB baby and you should have a friend for a very long time. There is alot of info on these snakes in the Caresheet section of this site.

Childrens Python- These are great little guys. One of my personal Favorites. Stay small and are calm with handling. These snakes are overlooked by alot of people. A gem they are

Cal. kings- Another great starter. I have yet to see a baby that will not eat and they calm with handling. Also if you like the Albinos they are not that pricy.

Corns- These guys come in so many colors it is hard to keep track of them. You can not go wrong with these guys. I am one to say it is hard to find a down side to the Corn.

Hoduran Milksnakes- Tri Color snake. Another on that are great and with some searching can find some screamers at great prices.

I believe if you do you research and get all the stuff you need to keep the snake you want there are not many snakes you can not get. The reason I say this is. Lets say you go get a corn but you really wanted a Hognose. The only reason you got the corn snake was people said it is a good starter. Well in the long run you will get your hognose and the corn will be pushed to the side. I am not saying you or all people do it. But I say go after what you want. Do your research. Look for that CB baby and enjoy keeping the snake you wanted. Knowledge is power and with all the CB baies out there and all the Info you can get there are not many species you can't get and enjoy. I am not saying jump into Hots I do not recommend getting into hots for the bigginer(if that is what some are thinking lol) Just you should get the species you want after you research everything you can about them!

:im considering getting myself a new pet.. i already have a leopard gecko and a tarantula. id like something that gets somewhat big, say around 3 or 4 feet as an adult. i really know nothing at all about snakes, which is why im doing some research first. do snakes get to know you, like lizards do (iguanas, water dragons) and do they tame? id like to be able to handle this thing a lot. any thoughts? dave

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The General Snake Forum ]