kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Reality check AFT (long)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Gecko Forum ]

Posted by BruceHallman on April 04, 2003 at 10:48:43:

Wow, African Fat Tailed gecko's are cute!

Actually, I am trying to be a responsible Dad...my 11 year old daughter has been nagging me for two years to get a pet snake. Though I can plainly see that she finds basically *all* reptiles to be adorable.

I (and we) are doing our research, fully aware that caring for a pet, (expecially a pet that can live for twenty years) requires one to be committed and responsible.

The popular snakes, kept as pets, get too big! I found leopard geckos to be a better choice, and was researching them now. During a visit to the EastBayVivarium in Berkeley CA, they turned me on to African Fat Tailed Geckos.

AFT's seem to strike an almost perfect balance between features to make them an ideal pet, for a responsible 11 year old girl.

I guess that my only negative concerns might include that AFT's are nocturnal, and my daughter is not . Also, I would like to buy an adult AFT, and these seem hard to find.

We already have a 40 gallon tank, with an under tank heater. Testing out the setup, the bare glass above the heater seems to exceed 100 degrees, but the air and surrounding immediately surrounding that spot seems too cold. Perhaps I need to diffuse the heat in that spot with a layer of some 'substrate' or something. Also, I am trying to improve the heat distribution of the 'warm end' of the tank through the use of a 60W ceramic IR heater in an 'elboe' desk lamp fixture.

Part of the problem must come from the fact that the rest of the room is cold, 60 deg F. plus or minus. The screened top of the tank lets in too much cold air from the room.

My idea is to get the gecko tank all ready and set up before be bring the animal home.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Gecko Forum ]