kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

TX Press Follow-up x2

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by Jasonzilla on May 02, 2003 at 11:12:38:

In Reply to: TX Press Follow-up x2 posted by RobnGravez on May 01, 2003 at 19:28:53:

Well, I am from South Texas, and over here there are actually quite a few alligators. Some people hunt them, but most people seem to just ignore them. I guess it's legal to hunt them here because of the fact that there are so many. You can only hunt one a season, and not many hunters that I know actually go for gators, but it still does happen nonetheless. I see no reason to hunt an alligator, but that's just me.
There have been several incidents of alligators wandering into suburban areas in Texas, some of them just recently, and as far as I can remember, NONE have ever ended with any people or pets getting injured. And in every one that I can remember, the gator was safely relocated with no problems. So this incident in Katy just boggles my mind, because I don't understand how this dummy with Texas Parks and Wildlife can actually try to justify his actions. I mean, sure, alligators CAN be dangerous (I got bitten by a juvenile in the foot at Choke Canyon State Park in Three Rivers, Texas, but it wasn't bad at all), but his behavior was still unnecessary. That's just my two cents. I just don't want people thinking that everyone here in Texas likes dragging animals from our trucks and then shooting them.

:I thought American Alligators were on the Endangered Species list because they look like species that ARE endangered and are difficult for hunters to tell apart. So how is it that in Texas it's legal to hunt them with a permit and apparently drag them behind a truck??? If a rabid dog was laying at that bus stop, would they have drug it behind a truck, in front of children, and then shot it? Probably not, even though both of them are dangerous animals. We should be teaching people and children especially that ALL animals deserve respect, not just the "cute" ones. Sorry, but I hate it when someone with a badge gets away with a crime because he HAS a badge and I REALLY hate it when someone treats an animal cruelly, whether they get away with it or not. If anyone knows why it is legal to hunt an endangered species in Texas I would like to know, thanks.
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]