kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

OZ Press: Crocodile chases surf skier for 40m

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by W von Papineäu on April 16, 2003 at 11:56:30:

HERALD SUN (Melbourne, Australia) 16 April 03 Crocodile chases surf skier for 40m (Paul Jackson)
A lifesaver told last night how a 3m crocodile chased him while he was paddling on his surf ski.
"I thought I was a goner," said Darwin Surf Club member Neil Bridgewater.
He saw the crocodile coming at him through the waves.
"I just paddled like hell," he said.
"It chased me for about 40m and just as it got to the board it disappeared.
"I didn't know where it had gone.
"I was running out of puff but just kept paddling madly.
"I thought it was going to appear from under my surf ski and have a go, but luckily it didn't surface again."
Mr Bridgewater, 29, had been on a training run on the surf ski from Casuarina Beach to Lee Point in Darwin about 6pm on Monday.
He was about 70m offshore when he spotted the crocodile in the water.
He circled around the crocodile to avoid it but it began a chase.
"I think I'm a pretty fit and strong person but I just couldn't pull away from it during the chase," he said.
"I was amazed at the crocodile's speed and agility.
"He had no fear of me. It was as if I was intruding in his territory.
"I'm just lucky the wind and a small swell were in my favour."
Mr Bridgewater said after the incident, which happened near the free beach, he warned a few people who were there not to go into the water.
He said as a member of the surf club he was concerned for the juniors because they frequently surfed and paddled in the area on slower paddleboards. "I'll certainly be letting them at the club know there's a croc hanging around nearby waters," he said.
Mr Bridgewater said he had reported the incident to Parks and Wildlife rangers.
Several people at the free beach yesterday said they had heard reports of a crocodile in the area.

NEWINDPRESS SOUTHERN NEWS (Andhra Pradesh, India) 15 April 03 Crocodile Park soon in Tirupati
Tirupati: The Sri Venkateswara Zoological Park would establish a Crocodile Park, a Wild Boar Sanctuary and a Tiger Cage soon.
The Crocodile Park would initially have five pairs that would brought from Pariseni Kedav Snake Park in Kannur district of Kerala. Wild Boars and tigers will be brought from other Zoos. In view of these new projects, a new post of assistant conservator of forests has been created.
http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?ID=IEA20030415160215&Page=A&Title=Southern+News+-+Andhra+Pradesh&rLink=0

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]