kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

good thought.... (more)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]

Posted by dragonsbynature on April 04, 2003 at 10:12:38:

In Reply to: Re: Pics of my baby alligators setup posted by Rob Carmichael on April 04, 2003 at 07:14:22:

Hi Rob,

Thanks man, glad you liked it. I have not really noticed that he has a problem coming out to bask.. he moves around his cage a lot throughout the day so I think he's doing farily well... however, I have noticed that occasionally if I run by the cage or my dog runs by it with his tennisball, sometimes the gator will launch off his basking spot into the water... i never thought about putting any "cover" up there for him.. that's a good idea! i'll take a look and see if I can find something that might work there and re-post a pic of it. thanks for the input!

dBn

:Real nice looking set up; it is just a shame that these animals get so big where a nice looking set up like this is simply not feasible. On a sidenote, if you find that your baby gator is hesitant in coming out to bask, you may want to provide some additional cover around the basking area (plastic plants, etc.) where the little gator will feel a bit more comfortable basking without feeling exposed to predators. But, this is not a critique; REAL nice looking set up.

::Hi everyone,

::Here are two pics of my gators setup. He is in a 40 gallon breeder with a dueto filter for filtration and current. On the left side of the tank is a 18" slab of slate for "land" that has a 100watt bulb for basking and heat. On the right side is a large rock for him to climb out on to get out of the water but away from the heat. He has misc plants and weeds for "cover" and he can swim under the slab of slate to get away from everything completely. There is also a fluorescent light that runs the length of the cage up top.

::Here is a pic of his entire setup: If you look closely you can see the gator just to the right of the slate on the left hiding in the weeds.

::

::Here is a closer view of the gator:

::dBn

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alligator and Crocodilian Forum ]