kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Baby eat a guppy !

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]

Posted by Paul Hollander on December 19, 2002 at 17:12:42:

In Reply to: Baby eat a guppy ! posted by Mizar 21 on December 18, 2002 at 21:52:16:

:Today for the first time i see my garter eat a guppy :) I'm in day 5 now. He was looking at the guppy in his water bowl, he sneak into the water and was moving a but fast so i think that he was hungry...he get out of the bowl without catching any...so i take one out and when the guppy was almost dead, i kind of stick it to the enclosure glass very much near him. His tongue was flicking out very fast and after "smelling" he finally eat it :) How many 3/4 inch guppy can a 10 inch snake eat ? I know i may sound silly but i was beginning to worry a bit about him...he's so small.

Glad to hear he's eating.

Rule of thumb is feed enough to produce a visible bulge in his belly. Even if one guppy doesn't produce a bulge, I'd stop at one for this feeding and the next. He probably hasn't eaten for a while, and his system needs to adjust to getting food again. After the second feeding, I might give more, depending on how big a food bulge there is and how he acts.

I notice that nobody answered your last post. So here goes. 84-85 degrees F is a good daytime temperature. Garters do well with a nighttime temperature drop into the low 70s F. This copies the day/night temperature cycle they get in the wild.

I haven't a clue as to what species you have. A picture would be nice, but right now I'd leave him alone and let him digest his food. Identification isn't urgent. Good luck with your little guy.

Paul Hollander

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Garter and Ribbon Snake Forum ]