kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

How about that..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by kimhotep on May 03, 2003 at 16:02:48:

In Reply to: Frogs in my neck of the woods.. posted by ginevive on May 03, 2003 at 07:03:37:

Funny that; I grew up in Amherst, & - predictably - the places I used to play as a kid are all built up now with McMansion blight. I caught tadpoles, saw deer & pheasants, & found owl pellets there. It's depressing when the trees ya used to climb now live in the forbidden territory of some stranger's yard, if they're still standing at all.

Glad 'your' frogs are going to be safe, & that your friend is sympethetic to that sort of thing! Over here in Central MA we've been hearing peepers & american toads. Haven't heard any more wood frogs for a week or two. No green frogs yet, though I'm looking forward to hearing them. My tadpoles have spread out into two tanks now, & there are some tiny ones that came in with the water change. Dunno if they're wood frogs as well. If they are, back they'll go & I'll just keep on with my 7 big guys.

:We went for a several-mile walk, through chilly 40 degree weather yesterday, to check on the wood frog eggs that have been "out back" for about two weeks now. We had a nice walk, though I did slip up to my knee in Cold water. The things we go through in order to see frogs :)
:Anyway, we were walking with our friend, who owns the land, who was talking about deer, birds, and everything. We showed him the massive amounts of frog eggs in the vernal pools, and he was truly amazed. Never noticed them in all the years he owned the land. It made me shudder to think that five years ago, there were huge logging trucks back there in the beginning of Spring. But the wood frogs are going strong. And the most ironic thing is, they're breeding in the water-filled tire treads from the loggers. It's still a quite thick coniferous forest, the kind that wood frogs love, and that's the only frog we have sighted besides occasional green frogs and spring peepers. We also found what we think are a. maculatum salamander eggs, a whole lot of those. The green frogs were sparsely populating a stream last year, but I see no signs of them breeding there, maybe they just drifted in as tadpoles from a larger breeding ground?
:I was made happy by one statement that our landowning friend made; he never plans to drain the swampland and vernal-pool woodland, and now that he knows about the breeding frogs, he will avoid driving through the areas where they live and breed. Just a ray of hope that, though so many people are draining swampland to build malls and houses around here, a little 200-acre place is set aside for these frogs and sals. Incidentally, there's a big fiasco in nearby Amherst, because a bunch of people built homes on former swampland and they're sinking. I feel no pity for them :)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]