kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - July 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - July 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - July 29, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Aug 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Aug 03, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Aug 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Aug. 10, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Aug 11, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Aug 17, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: got me some eggs :-)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]

Posted by ginevive on April 14, 2003 at 05:52:09:

In Reply to: got me some eggs :-) posted by anuraanman on April 13, 2003 at 20:44:25:

:I was preparing to do my homework when I decided to go for a ten minute bike ride. I got on my bike and less than two minutes into my ride I heard what sounded like woodfrogs. I raced back to my house, grabbed my camera some boots, a net a bucket and some drinking water and headed to the place where I heard the calls. As I approached the small pond I saw some movement and the calling stopped. I was unable to find the frogs but after a closer inspection I noticed about ten egg clutches in the water attached to vegetation. I took two of the clutches and then noticed an unusual shaped rock about 6 inches below the surface with some mud beginning to cover it up. Not knowing for sure I grabbed a stick and poked it. The rock slowly flipped over and revealed a head four legs and a huge tail. It was a dead snapping turtle. Being dead I wasted no time grabbing it up and putting it on shore. As I was about to leave I noticed yet another clutch of eggs but more compact and without the jelly casing. I'm pretty sure these are jefferson/bluespotted salamander eggs. Today was my first day of herping this year, which means to me this is the first day of spring. :-). Btw, the ten minute bike ride ended up lasting about three hours. I heard the frogs, went to get some pics, found and collected eggs, found dead snapper. The snapper is now in a corner of my garden waiting for the worms to come and clean her out. But first I pressure washed the shell to remove algae. When I did this I found something startling. I had found the exact same turtle exactly one year ago fighting with another turtle. I recognised it by a bullet wound at the edge of the shell and some damage on the top of the shell. Sad to know it died. But here I go, this is a frog forum. The rest of my day consisted of preparing the tadpole tank. The homework lost priority over the herp premere of the year.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frog and Toad Forum ]