kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Frilled with parasites

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Frilled Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Pennebaker on October 21, 2002 at 12:27:29:

In Reply to: Frilled with parasites posted by iguanalady on October 21, 2002 at 11:42:34:

yea, in my opinion "cb" in indonesia on a farm is basically the same as wild caught when it comes to parasites. Like iguanas.

That is a lot of treatments. Have you looked into parazap? i think it is just parazap.com. It's an all natural treatment that eliminates most worms in one fell swoop. And it is much easier on the system than some of the harsh meds. I've found it to work very well.
I might give the frilly a break though. Stress can be more detrimental than the parasites often times. You can actually use the parazap like a powder (powder the crickets), but that is more preventative--you make a tea out of it for the actual treatment.
check for mites under the frill too!
good luck
dana

:I got my new frilleds not too long ago and immediatly tested them for parasites. I saw coccidia oocysts, likely Emeria, and something that looked similar to a pinworm ovum but it was slightly different. I treated the coccidia with Trimeth. sulpha for a week and I still have to get a stool sample to see if that worked (likely not as it wasn't long enough and coccidia are tough little buggers...the drug is just harsh on the kidneys and other things were going on with the female not eating and I wanted to hold off that particular treatment till she was better health). I kept up the treatment with fenbendazole though. Soon I began to see 1-2 inch worms passed in the feces. They were not tape worma as they were pointed at each end and red in color and still alive when passed. I ddi the first fenbend. treatments 2 weeks apart and now I have gone to 1 week apart and given a total of 5 treatments. I am definatly seeing fewer worms but 5 treatments is a little ridiculous and I think I will switch to something like metronidazole soon. Has anyone seen these particular parasites before? Has anyone had success treating them? What meds worked?

:They weren't wild caught but they were "captive bred in Indonesia" so I imagine the setups are similar to iguana farms and parasites abound. Its difficult to get anything else in Canada. Believe me I tried.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Frilled Dragon Forum ]