kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Field Collectors@##%$%

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by allthatslithers on May 13, 2003 at 13:31:49:

In Reply to: Field Collectors@##%$% posted by herpetological on May 12, 2003 at 22:15:13:

Wow,sad to hear that:( I get pissed enough when I see snakes hit by random motorists let alone people who are just ignorant "herpers".Very sorry to hear this,and destroying people's property and habitat is just utter bs.Who ARE these idiots?!!?!

:This is not meant for everyone but I have to vent!!!!I just back in from a great trip collecting and photographing in the S.E. U.S. I headed out to do some well overdue collecting here in S. Florida. I stopped to check a building which has been the habitat for numerous yellow rats for years. This place is private property and I have specific permission to collect specimens when needed. I found that some collectors had been there. OBVIOUSLY!! All of the ceiling insulation was torn out. Nearly every wall was destroyed. Door and window frames removed. Doors laying on the ground. Yes, it was collectors.(Faint smell of gas and 20-30 skins in a pile!) I don't care who collects here even though I have a right to kick them out. As per
:property owners. WHY??? So they could get a few extra snakes! Now they will not utilize this habitat again! And the owners will not be happy. You know who you are! Probably the same bunch that is roadrunning or should I say over crowding the prarrie near Okeechobee. Seems someone leaked the word out about road running in this area. Was a nice place when a few locals and researchers were going there. Now on any given night there are 8-10 cars on this road. Being disrespectful, speeding and killing. Yes, killing. They are in such a hurry to overun each other that I have seen them actually kill snakes. In addition many of them must be new to this since I followed one and picked up snakes they missed. Again WHY?? About 90% of them are from out of county. The same county even. Greed taking over guys? Not talented enough to find areas near you. Guess what? I collect in you home town area and do great!! After the mole kings? Good luck your just chasing them off the roads. (Or running them over)These practices are not in the interests of you or the animals. Ever heard of renewable resources? Wildlife management? Here i'll give you a good example.. do the math! Anoles can be collected at night. Sometimes as much as 150 per hour in good areas. So they hit these areas every night for 6 months. Collecting everything. Suddenly very few anoles!! It will take 2-3 years for them to get back up to optimum population density. If you collected only 80-100 of those specimens available... leave small ones, broken tailed ones, 80% of the females, 20% of the males and collect that spot once every 1-2 months... Guess what? It will be productive every time. Same goes for habitat destruction and overcollecting! Yeah it's great now but, come back...!!!??? So our biggest enemy is? Let's not allow collectors to get a bad name. Use your head and the respect that you SHOULD be brought up with.I'm sure I need to say more but we'll leave it at that. I will post a collecting report later but right
:now @#*&#@!!! Thanks, everyone else, hope you are doing well in the field! Ray Goushaw Herpetological Breeding Research
:But this kind of senseless destruction will keep EVERYONE out!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]