kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Herping 101

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by PeeBee on April 22, 2003 at 00:22:36:

In Reply to: For Experienced Herpers posted by Yonkers on April 20, 2003 at 20:01:59:

:Hey All,

:I am looking to start heading into nature this year in persute of herps like what appears most of you do.

:I am looking for general tips. I am in michigan. What are good tiems to head out? Morning, afternoon? Sunny, cloudy? Dry or after a rain?

:Do you just typically walk through the and look? Any technique? Do you roll logs over and kick through brush/leaf piles?

:I am want to be able to share pictures of finds like you all do have a new digital camera just itching to take some shots. Already took pictures of all my pets now want to head out in nature.

:Thanks,
:Scott
---------------------------------------

In the Northeast, the spring is the best season to look for snakes. May is my favorite herping month. The temps are great, the (flying) bugs aren't at their worst, and the grass hasn't yet hidden all of the cover objects. I've found the best days to be overcast, slightly humid, with temps in the mid seventies. All day is fine at the beginning of the season, but as spring progesses & it warms up, morning and late afternoon are the best times to find herps.

Look for abandoned buildings, barns, etc, & check under the cover objects. Rocky hillsides, especially south facing, can also be good.

However, the first thing you need to do is get your hands on the Conant/Collins - Peterson Guide "A Field Guide to Reptiles & Amphibians of Eastern North America". It's much easier to find an animal if you know it's natural history. The guide's also great for identifying herps you're not familiar with.

I'd also recommend that you try to find "Amphibians & Reptiles of the Great Lakes Region", a good region specific book for your area.

To get a feel for the overall field herping experience & to pick up some tips(and as Denis suggested), I'd recommend you read Snakes and Snake Hunting. Dick Bartlett's "In Search of Reptiles & Amphibians" is also very good.

Lastly, check out the Michigan Dept of Natural Resources web site, to find out the rules & regs regarding herps in your state; i.e.: I believe Fox snakes are protected.

PB

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]