kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My first field herping of the season...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by Amanda E on April 19, 2003 at 16:47:56:

Hi. I've never posted here before, but I had to tell someone of my day's find.

My husband and I went out around 1pm to a local park to go hiking. I wasn't expecting to find anything but I was still hoping.

Turns out that we were quite lucky.

The first herp we found was a northern water snake. It was basking on a rock right next to the river running along the hiking path. It was between 2.5-3 feet long.

The next herps we found were some green frogs. We saw 3 fairly close-up, and saw the splashes of a few after they had just jumped into the water.

We also saw a bunch of turtles, probably about 6 or 7. I forgot to pay attention to how many there were. We saw at least 1 eastern painted turtle, 2 stinkpots, and 1 10-inch long snapping turtle.

For not expecting to find anything, I thought we did very well.

Next weekend, we are planning on going back to the same park to see if we can find any of the same animals or hopefully some new ones. Next time we will also take a camera. I really wish I could have gottten a picture of that water snake. It was only about 3 feet away from us.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]