kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Snake Wranglers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by tedn on April 13, 2003 at 14:29:26:

In Reply to: Re: Snake Wranglers posted by tedn on April 13, 2003 at 14:17:44:

::I caught one of the Snake Wrangler TV episodes the other night, and quite frankly, I was appalled. Some guy named Jim from Kentucky was road cruising for Mojave rattlers for a venom collection project. His fingers were absolutely mangled from past bites, which was totally understandable once you watched his technique. He jumped out of his vehicle barefoot, and simply had to pin and grab everything. At one point, he was actually holding a small Mojave behind the head while driving down the road. Fortunately, he only spotted a couple, because if they had been out in numbers, he would have probably been tagged again. Knowing all of the kids that watch these "experts", I really have to shake my head at this nonsense. Is anyone really surprised that we have these antivenin shortages these days?

:Just for fun how about this....I know it'll generate a bit of controversy.

:Eastern Diamondback rattlers have a large projection above their eyes that makes it impossible for them to see above making it possible to pet them.
:While working as lecturers at the old Ross Allen Reptile Institute in Silver Springs, Florida we would get bored and would often do silly things like pet the rattlers during the show! I would usually wait until the end of the lecture right after my rattlesnake would break the balloon. Telling my audience to watch for the fangs as the snake struck the balloon...which was so fast that it was obviously impossible to see them...then I'd reach down and pet the snake on top of its head! It would blow everyone away...the secret was to make sure the snake was watching my feet, instead of my hands, by moving my snake proof boots. The only time, that I'm aware of, that someone was bitten doing this was when the lecturer failed to move the other snakes far enough away. We would usually have twenty or thirty snakes out on the floor at one time. Ross Allen was bitten in one of these shows which cost him a year out of work. The rattler got him from behind and above the boot!

My disclaimer for all that might try this....

This stunt was accomplished only with "eastern" diamondbacks. Western and other species may not cooperate to the same degree. Also the snakes were usually "milked" sometime prior to petting.
when you handle venomous animals you have a good chance of getting bitten and it hurts, a lot! It may even kill you! At the very least it's an expensive proposition and you could have a very lengthy stay in the hospital.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]