kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

That agama is really cool! Thanks for posting! n/m

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by johne on April 09, 2003 at 15:12:33:

In Reply to: Curly-tailed plus Agama plus Basilisk from south FL posted by TomSpinker on April 08, 2003 at 18:01:05:

:
:
:Here are photos of three invasive lizards in south Florida.
:

:

:

:

:
:
:

:
:

:Northern Curly-tailed Lizard
:

:

:
:

:First is a Northern Curly-tailed lizard, Leiocephalus carinatus. This is native to the Bahamas. The lizard ususally curls its tail upward toward its body, sort of like a scorpion.
:I took the photo on 3 April 2003, at noon, about a half-mile west of the main entrance to the Homestead Air Force Reserve Base. I have heard that these lizards are common along the Atlantic Ocean between Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. This is the first one that I have seen.

:

:I shot the photo through a chain-link fence which surrounds a small business. Lizard is on an asphalt parking area.

:

:This lizard seemed quite calm and allowed me to approach it.

:SVL about 5".

:
:

:

:
:

:Next lizard is a Red-headed Agama, Agama agama, native to Africa.
:Photo taken 28 Feb 2003 about 1:00 pm in a community north of Homestead known as The Redlands.
:There are lots of these living on a deteriorating stone wall which surrounds a school property and also on an abandoned school building on the same property. I have never seen any other than on
:this property or across the street from this property. It seems odd that they are found only in this one location. The only explanation that I can think of is that there is an Agama importer in the area (??) The Bartlett and Bartlett book says that this species is found in one location in Dade County (Miami and southward) and two locations in Broward County (Fort Lauderdale and northward).

:

:
:These lizards are very wary. I could only get to within about 15 feet.

:
:SVL about 7"

:

:
:

:
:Red-headed Agama
:

:
:

:

:
:

:And finally a Brown Basilisk, also known as Striped Basilisk, Basiliscus vittatus.
:This species is native to southern Mexico and Central America.
:I took this photo east of the Homestead Air Force Reserve Base on 3 April 2003 at about 10:30am. (About an hour and a half before I took the photo of the Curly-tailed Lizard. I bicycled in a loop around the Air Base that day.)

:

:This species is abundant in the ditches between the Air Force Base and the Atlantic Ocean. It is fairly wary, but one can approach it if it feels secure in the vegetation.

:
:SVL about 6"

:

:
:
:

:

:All the photos are with a Pentax Spotmatic II.

:Agama with 200mm lens, other two with 100mm lens. Film is Kodak Gold 200-6. Images scanned from negatives.

:

:
:I only take photos and never touch any animal (except to remove a snake or
:turtle from the road).

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]