kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Some pics of a couple herps from Houston and Galveston, TX

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]

Posted by Erik - NM on March 30, 2003 at 19:54:09:

I had a couple friends come visit from New Mexico, so we all headed to Houston so we could check out the beach in nearby Galveston. I planned on having one day to do a little poking around, but my schedule was a little busy...and the cold front and rain did not help either.

In some nearby bushes right on the beach of Galveston island, I found this frog:

-unidentified frog-

Anyone know what kind of frog this is? I'm thinking some kind of tree frog (Hyla) or chorus frog (Pseudacris). It was about 1" SVL.

Friday I planned on doing a little herping near my parent's house. Started to leave and it started sprinkling....then raining. The rain was COLD, so we headed back. No herping today.....BUT, an hour later my stepfather called and said he had a snake that "spread it's neck like a cobra". He works at a chemical plant in a refinery and sees many snakes...which often meet the pointy end of a shovel. Me and my friend Jason head down there to pick the snake up and it's a rather drab, but healthy looking, eastern hognose snake:

-as found under a fire extinguisher cover-

-a blurry pic of his attempt at intimidation-

-a close up of the blurry pic showing the rear fangs-

I tried to get this fellow to play dead, but she (as I'd find out later) just wouldn't. I packed her up and waited until the next day to get some better pics.

This snake was probed by a friend in Houston (Clint Pustejovsky....jeez, I hope I spelled that right!) She will be relocated into a protected park where she can avoid shovel-wielding chemical plant workers....

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Field Collecting Forum ]