kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Anyone had problems with ringworm in rats? A few questions.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by franklin edwards on May 09, 2003 at 11:48:16:

In Reply to: Anyone had problems with ringworm in rats? A few questions. posted by rodmalm on May 09, 2003 at 08:04:44:

Your rats shouldn't be scratching if they have it because ringworm doesn't itch. It is very contagious in humans and all other animals so please do not bring those animals back to your house.

You can ask your vet what would work to treat, but if you do not see any of your animals with the ring shaped hair loss I would have to say the store is most likely caring the fungus there.

Because if any of your animals have it you would know as you said some people have brought them back to the store already.

:I'm not positive I have a problem, but I suspect that I do.
:I have 12 colonies of blue rats with babies and I occasionally sell a few just weaned babies to a local pet shop for pets. Anyway, customers that have bought them from the shop are coming down with ringworm!

:Here's the thing, all of my rats look perfect--no missing or thinning hair, no scabs, no scratching noticed. I've throughly looked them all over and they look great.

:Do you think I should treat them for ringworm? If so, is there an easy way? What should I use?

:I am thinking of "dipping" them in a Nolvasan solution (chlorhexadine diacitate) when I clean their cages along with disinfectiong the cages with the same. (I have about 50 adults and 150 babies so treating them individually with anything like a salve/shampoo on a daily basis is out of the question.)--LOL, yeah right, shampooing rats!!

:Also, since I can't see any symptoms, any idea how I can tell when things are better?

:Lastly, does anyone know if a black light purchased at the local hardware store ($10) would work the same as a "woods" light? I understand some species of the ringworm fungus will illuminate under the right light and I don't want to spend $300 for a woods light if a normal black light will suffice. I already bought a $10 black light, and while the rats look amazing under it, I can't see anything that looks like it is glowing(except for their white fur).

:
:Thanks,
:Rodney

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]