kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I suggest Lobster roaches...more...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Feeder Forum ]

Posted by ALanolis on April 24, 2003 at 08:53:10:

In Reply to: roaches as feeders posted by herpluver on April 23, 2003 at 08:06:02:

Meal worms are a poor feeder, so I'm glad to hear that you want to give them up. Crickets, however, can be an invaluable addition to the varied diet if they're made healthy enough. Their Ca:Ph ratio is atrocious, so if they're fed a healthy rich diet with enough calcium and protein, the crickets can be made just right. Cricketfood.com's cricket chow is perfect in this case. And because crickets are so abundant, it's a shame to have to give them up.

Silkworms are a very good choice as well. By default, they're one of the healthiest feeders out there. If you are getting them from Mulberryfarms, try hornworms as well. If your beardie is a tiny fella, the hornworms are small when they first arrive and should be fed right away. Hornworms get BIG and they grow FAST. The biggest hornworm I've ever had would be too big for evem the biggest beardie, in my opinion. Another decent worm, is the common waxworm. If you can keep them on a fat free diet that is rich in nutrients and calcium for long enough, you can reduce their fat % greatly, making them safe to place into the staple diet. And their fat % aside, waxworms are actually healthy feeders. Also, cockroaches are a good choice. Rich in protein, they can thrive very easily. So just feed them a heep of healthy vegetables and food items. This will yield very healthy feeders. I recommend Lobster roaches. They do not have a defensive smell, in fact, they tend to have an aroma that attracts predators. They can climb flat vertical sufaces though. So you must keep them militantly. It's best to order roaches in very small numbers so that you can keep track of them. At 21-24 days old, Lobster roaches are still nymphs (babies). So when you order them, order what ever size you need depending on your beardy's size. Here is a roach site that can sell you any size you want by request, Lobster roaches are species Nauphoeta cinerea. Roachman's roaches!

~ALanolis

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Feeder Forum ]